Thursday, July 10, 2008

I gotta say it....



I got to say it. I have a love hate relationship with Jack Kirby. I love a lot of his creations. But I really hate a lot of his art. I personally think the quality of his work went steadily down from the mid sixties on ward. Today I found myself looking through a Marvel Essentials Captain America. Cap is one of my favorite characters of all time! But I put it back. Why? Because I couldn't deal with the squat figured crumby art work of Kirby's. I mean do you know who draws a worst Red Skull than him? Trick question. No one does.
Then theres people who praise his work in creating and on the New Gods in DC. Do you know what the best thing about the New Gods was? That DC recently did a series about the death of the New Gods. Worst part about it though. They didn't wipe the trash out.

On the other hand I love many of the characters he created or helped to. I don't know what to think. I do know the next time I here some moron say out loud that Kirby was the Greatest. Their either going to get a "Kirby was a hack" and/or a punch to the mouth.

No comments: