Wednesday, September 7, 2016

One Page


    I really like one page games, or at least the idea of them. There's something wonderful about a game and the trimmings in a page or two. Things like this from the Metal Earth Blog. Or Swords and Wizardry Lite Eric Tenkar has been working on. At the same time its like a piece of toast with butter and jam. So tastey and wonderful. But quickly gone. Leaving you wanting something more substantial.
    Kind of like BECMI back in the day. I remember my the old red box I got as a lad. So wonderful. But left me wanting more, the rest of the series. At the same time three main books and the rest is gravy. As shown by AD&D, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (I don't like it but it fits the model), and now 5th.
     But then there's things like CoC. All you need to play for eons is just the main book. Which is nice reference wise and nice to the wallet.
    I suppose 5e gave that taste of toast and jam, with the starter set. Then releasing the core books one by one. Heck they even cornered the main rulebook thing with the players handbook. With the little bestiary in the back. Something to ponder.

No comments: